Daniel Kaplan, RA, AIA
Dan was born in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and grew up watching Matt renovate the neighborhood and beyond. With a background in art and art history, and a lot of international travel, he returned to school for a Masters in Architecture, after a career in web and graphic design.
Dan has worked on numerous renovations and new construction, for a multitude of programs and uses. He was the job captain for a new public school in the Bronx, landscape design for several schools in NYC, a renovation of Terminal A at Newark airport, a new office building in landmarked Soho, and numerous housing and school projects throughout the boroughs. Additionally, he has also spent many years working on renovations and new construction of both townhouses and free-standing residences, apartments, and offices, throughout the boroughs, Long Island, and New Jersey.
- Partner - Bowerbird Architects, Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Job Captain - RKT&B Architects, NYC, NY
- Intern Architect - Murdock Young Architects, NYC, NY
- Intern Architect - Wood and Zapata Architects, NYC, NY
- Masters of Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design
Senior Project Manager
Carole is an experienced Architectural Designer in the architecture & urban design industry. Carole has worked in various parts of design-related fields, including Mixed-use, New Town Design and Adaptive Reuse, Commercial, and Residential.
- Senior Project Manager - Bowerbird Architects - Since 2017
- Sr Architectural Designer - The Saladino Group
- Director of Urban Design - Humphreys & Partners Architects
- Director of Urban Design - Merriman Associates/Architects, Inc.
- Architectural Intern - Company NameDSGN associates
- Senior Project Architect / Designer III - Johnson Twitmyer JV
- Master of Architecture (MArch) with a Certificate in Urban Design focused in architecture and Urban Design from The University of Texas at Austin
Victoria is a native Brooklynite. After receiving her Bachelor of Arts from Bryn Mawr College as a Growth & Structure of Cities major, she continued her studies in New Orleans, completing her Masters of Architecture at Tulane University. Victoria loves to create music, rock climb, and commute to work on bike.
- Job Captain - Bowerbird Architects - Since 2017
- Architectural Designer - Beyer Blinder Belle Architects, NY, NY
- Junior Architect - PBDW Architects - NY, NY
- Masters of Architecture, Tulane University
- Bachelor of Arts, Bryn Mawr College
Gerardo received his Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Miami where he was a Teaching Assistant and involved in a variety of projects in the South Florida community.
- Job Captain - Bowerbird Architects - Since 2018
- Architecture Designer - Studio Miami
- Architecture Intern - Cúre & Penabad
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of Miami
- Job Captian/Consultant - Bowerbird Architects - Since 2014
- Bachelor of Architecture, Pratt Institute
Matthew Kaplan, RA
Matthew Kaplan was educated at the University of Pennsylvania under the tutelage of Louis Kahn, Robert Venturi, Robert Geddes, and Aldo Giurgola, among many other outstanding faculty members of the time. After working in Hartford, Connecticut, becoming the head architect on underwater archaeology digs in Cyprus and Turkey, working for an architect in Tel Aviv, Israel, and various firms in NYC, Matthew settled in Park Slope, Brooklyn in 1972.
Between 1975 and 1995 he established himself in architectural partnerships and then decided to strike out on his own. His own work has varied from entire apartment buildings, to renovations of townhouse apartments, total gut renovations of houses and yards, to retail stores, bakeries, and doctor's offices. Now working with his son Dan, Matthew's career has become a collaboration, imparting his wisdom from experience, and drawing from the technological innovations of a new generation of architects.
- Partner Emeritus - Bowerbird Architects, Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Owner - Matthew L Kaplan Architect Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Partner - Kaplan/Price Associates Architects, Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Partner - Einhorn & Kaplan Associates Architects, Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Associate - Smotrich & Platt Architects, NYC, NY
- Head Architect of Underwater Archaeology in Turkey and Cyprus - University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of Pennsylvania
All photography, except "Gardens and Yards," "The Bridge," and "Gramercy Dental," by Matthew Williams